Friday, October 10, 2008

Why Is The World Obsessed With Hate?

A big thumbs up goes to Imam Zaid Shakir for speaking for the Muslim Ummah when he wrote the article, "Obsessed With Defemation and Falsehood."

The article was, of course, in response to the hate propaganda film, "Obsession" made by... (you guessed it) an Israeli organization by the name of the Hasbara Fellowship Program, "which aims to train students to be effective pro-Israel activists on their college campuses" (NYTimes, Karen W. Arenson). The producer was Raphael Shore, "a 45-year-old Canadian who lives in Israel" (Arenson) who made the film with the hope that it would "spur action against Islamic terrorism" [which is, in all honestly, the most vague of labels. I mean, what the hell does the word 'Islamic terrorism' imply? Does it tell us who, among the world's 1.84 BILLION Muslims, are referred to as terrorists, or, does it simply want us to assume that all those who follow the religion of Islam [hence the word Islamic terrorism] are terrorists?]. Shore goes onto define this label by (of course) his own opinions, and supports his opinion with pictures and videos of fanatical suiciders, power hungry dictators, and the ever inflammatory link to Hitler.

I will give him credit for mentioning (exactly twice, once at the beginning and once at the end) that not all Muslims are terrorists. However, this is after showing over an hour worth's of mind bogglingly, jarred connections between how "islamic terrorism" is extremely prevalent in Muslim societies all over the world. So, thank you, Mr. Shore, for calling out that most of my community are power hungry, fanatical suiciders hell bent on destroying the world. At least you implied that there is a .001 fraction of us who are not. What a rosy picture you paint.

Anywho, I don't want to be sidetracked, so let me get to the point: I'm writing this not because I want to publicize the movie any more than it's already been publicized (I'd like to see it die a well deserved death alongside other such propoganda from the Zionist state), but because I would rather that someone hear of it from me, an American Muslim, instead of finding out about it through another source, who would have either 1.)Their own agenda or 2.) Be so thoroughly brainwashed by the falsehood in the movie that they are rendered incapable of any orignial foresight into logical, clear facts, leading them to spit out exactly what they've heard in the movie, regardless of the fact that history negates these falsehoods completely.

Whew! Felt good to get that off my chest.

But, of course, I (unlike the producers of this film) don't like to label an entire race or group or nation of people upon the views or charactor or actions of a few and usually small minority of idiotic people who happen to want to force their views and ideology upon others. [And yes, I'm being purposefully vague as to who this small group of people are so that I may further stress the fact that these groups exist in every society, large or small, progressive or backward, and that to judge said society upon their views is to look at that society through a very narrow lens.]

I don't believe (as do the producers of this film) that all American's are really as ignorant/stupid/lazy as goes the stereotype. I believe that we are able to check the facts of history ourselves, and realize that this film is bieng distributed, RIGHT BEFORE ELECTIONS, for a very specific reason. I also don't believe I have to spoonfeed my readers the message. You get it, don't you?

Thus, I present to you, an article written by one of America's foremost speakers on Islam and the West, Imam Zaid Shakir, and implore you to read it. If you've seen the movie, then I'm practically begging you to read it; afterall a mind is a terrible thing to waste, and a lifetime obsessing over hate is even worse.

Sumeyya

Imam Zaid's Article: http://www.newislamicdirections.com/nid/articles/obsessed_with_defamation_and_falsehood/

No comments: